I’m not a natural cook, I don’t particularly enjoy spending hours in the kitchen but I do like cooking simple food. There’s nothing more satisfying in our house than having the dinner sorted by mid-morning. I use the slow cooker on average twice a week and am always looking out for great slow cooker recipes.
On the occasions where we have friends and family over, nothing pleases me more than being prepared. This is why this easy slow cooker BBQ chicken recipe is ideal. Just fling everything into the slow cooker and let it tenderise itself. The smell of it cooking on low over 6 hours is divine.
This recipe serves 8 if used in burger buns or baps. I usually serve with baked potatoes, gourmet burger buns or baps, homemade coleslaw, green salad and corn on the cob. It would also be delicious served over rice. Guests can serve themselves and go back for seconds when suits.
- 5-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1½ cups BBQ Sauce (I love Annie’s Naturals Organic BBQ Sauce but you can use any)
- ½ medium onion, grated (with juice)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- Stir together all sauce ingredients in a medium-large slow cooker.
- Season chicken breasts lightly (a small pinch per breast) with some sea salt and place in the slow cooker.
- Turn chicken to coat, place the lid on and cook on high 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
- Use two forks to pull apart the chicken and stir to coat in sauce.
And you’re done. It’s that easy and guests can serve themselves straight out of the slow cooker. Even the clean up is easy.